7x7 (Part 2)

Originally Posted on the “Knowing Changes Everything”  Blog

for Georgia Tech Admissions

 

7 Lists x7 Days

My first seven blog posts will be lists of 7 ranking some of my favorite things at Tech. Each day I will post a new list. I have some topics in mind, but if there is a specific list you’d like to see, let me know on the comments box.

1. My top 7 classes at Tech so far

3. 7 things I always carry with me on campus

3-7. TBA

7 things I always carry with me on campus

7- Pen & PaperPen & NotebookYou never know when you’ll get a great idea, but if you have a pen and a notebook, you’ll have somewhere to save that thought until you need it again.

6- Something to readMagazines

Whether I’m waiting for a Stinger bus, my class to start, or just waiting in line, I always have something to do by reading one of the magazines I keep on me in my sack pack (see 5). On Fridays, when the Technique comes out, I’ll pick that up to stay up to date on campus news. 

5- My Sack PackGT Sack PackThis Under Armor brand sack pack has come in handy and proved quite durable. I carry it with me whenever I don’t have my laptop book bag with me. I need somewhere to put all that reading material, and textbooks of course. 

4- A CameraThe notebook helps me remember ideas, but the camera lets me capture moments (on video or photo) that occur spontaneously on campus. I also use it in places like the library where I can take a picture of the call # of the book I’m looking for, then view the photo when I’m actually in front of the book rack. 99% of the time, taking a picture of the call # is faster than writing it down.

3- My Cell PhoneLG Rumor PhoneI’d estimate about 90% of students on campus have a cell phone. Out of that 90%, 60% has either unlimited or a high number of pre-paid text messages. Texting is a popular way of communicating with class group members and friends on campus.

2- My Room KeysKeys to my room

A few buildings (Hefner & Armstrong for the Freshman Experience) already have RFID Buzz Card entry systems installed in their residence halls which allow their residents to enter the building without using a key. That isn’t the case for me in Fitten. I learned early on that you can’t afford to lose your keys. The fee for having your key replaced is somewhere in the $75 range!

Most rooms on campus require the resident to open 2 locked doors before reaching your own room door. Fitten has 3 locked doors before reaching my room door, so if I do forget my key that would be lots of waiting around for someone to let me in.

1- My Buzz Card

You don’t need your Buzz Card, unless you plan on:

  • Eating at a dining hall
  • Taking an exam
  • Entering the library
  • Getting back into your residence hall (for the North Avenue apartments as well as Hefner-Armstrong)
  • Paying for your broken chemistry lab materials
  • Paying for a variety of things on campus (from vending machines to your books @ Barnes & Noble)
  • Attending a Freshman Experience area-wide program
  • Paying for your laundry
  • Paying for things like Six Flags night (scheduled for last Friday before the flood changed our plans) or World of Coke night (scheduled for this Thursday)
  • Entering the Student Center after-hours
  • Playing intramural sports (Buzz Card checks you in each game)

So basically, your Buzz Card is an essential item. Never leave your room without it.

What other lists would you like to see? Let me know in the comments section.

0 comments: